Theme customizer
Revert customizations made in this style
What's new

game suggestion: Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice

adelracz

Newbie Navigator
Reaction score
Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice is the kind of game that made me want to throw my controller across the room, yet kept me coming back for more. As a fan of FromSoftware’s Dark Souls and Bloodborne, I thought I knew what I was getting into: punishing difficulty, epic boss fights, and a mysterious, atmospheric world. What I didn’t expect was how different—and yet familiar—Sekiro would feel. It’s easily one of the toughest games I’ve ever played, but it’s also one of the most rewarding.

Story and Setting​

The story in Sekiro felt more accessible than previous FromSoftware games, which was a nice surprise. You play as Wolf, a shinobi tasked with protecting a young lord named Kuro, who is being hunted for his mysterious powers. The game is set in a beautifully reimagined version of Japan’s Sengoku period, blending real history with elements of mythology and the supernatural.

What I loved about the story was its personal feel. Wolf isn’t just some nameless, faceless warrior like in Dark Souls. He has a purpose, a past, and real connections to the characters in the world. There’s a clear sense of loyalty and duty in his mission, and I found myself invested in Kuro’s fate. Sure, it’s not the most intricate or sprawling narrative out there, but it has an emotional depth that kept me hooked.

Combat: Brutal but Fair​

Let’s talk about the combat, which is really the heart of the game. FromSoftware threw out the slower, methodical combat of the Soulsborne games and replaced it with something much faster and more precise. The game doesn’t have a traditional stamina bar; instead, it focuses on posture. Every encounter revolves around breaking your enemy’s posture through precise attacks and, more importantly, perfectly timed parries.

At first, I hated it. I kept trying to play Sekiro like Dark Souls, dodging and rolling around, only to get wrecked by even the simplest enemies. But once I learned to trust the parry system, it clicked. Every fight became a tense dance, and when I managed to land that perfect parry and finish off an enemy with a visceral deathblow, it felt incredible. It’s not an easy system to master, and I died countless times learning it, but that’s where the magic of the game lies. Every victory feels earned, and there’s nothing quite like finally beating a boss after hours of trying.

Speaking of bosses, Sekiro delivers some of the most intense, white-knuckle boss fights I’ve ever experienced. The sense of satisfaction you get from defeating a boss like Genichiro or the Guardian Ape is unmatched. These fights push you to your limits, demanding not just skill, but patience and a willingness to learn from your mistakes. Every time I finally overcame a boss, it felt like a real achievement.

Exploration and Freedom​

One of the things that sets Sekiro apart from its predecessors is the level of freedom you have in exploration. Thanks to the grappling hook, you can zip around the world, scaling walls and jumping between treetops. It gives the game a more open, vertical feel compared to the tightly packed environments of Dark Souls and Bloodborne.

The environments themselves are stunning. Whether it’s the quiet, snow-covered mountains or the eerie, corrupted forests, every area feels distinct and alive. I found myself stopping to admire the scenery more than once—right before getting ambushed by an enemy, of course.

Death and Resurrection​

Death in Sekiro is brutal, as you’d expect. But unlike the Souls games, you get a second chance thanks to the resurrection mechanic. The first time I resurrected mid-battle and got back into the fight, it felt like I’d cheated death itself. But the game makes sure you don’t abuse it. Resurrecting comes with consequences—too many deaths, and NPCs start getting sick, which can affect the game’s story and quests.

While the resurrection mechanic is a neat addition, it doesn’t make the game any easier. You still die. A lot. And you have to learn from every failure, which is what makes Sekiro so compelling. It’s tough, but never unfair.

Final Thoughts​

Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice is a game that demands your full attention. It’s not the kind of experience where you can just sit back and mindlessly play. It’s stressful, it’s hard, and it can be frustrating as hell. But it’s also deeply satisfying. The combat is a masterclass in design, the world is gorgeous and haunting, and the sense of accomplishment you get from finally defeating a tough boss or mastering a new skill is second to none.

If you’re a fan of challenging games, Sekiro is absolutely worth your time. It’s different enough from Dark Souls and Bloodborne to feel fresh, but it still has that signature FromSoftware flavor that keeps you hooked. Just be prepared to die. A lot. And then die again. But when you finally succeed, it’s one of the best feelings in gaming.